Why you should use Challis Hex Drive Bushings
These patent-pending bushings, first offered in the fall of 2014 have become widely accepted as the finest bushings
available. The hex head design, coupled with an innovative use of O-rings make Challis Hex Drive Bushings the
most secure and stable grip mounting available. Boost
your 1911 into the twenty-first century for a modest
price and a few minutes of your time.
Check out the video demonstrating the use of the Challis Bushing Extractor, used to remove slotted bushings, and another
video demonstrating the installation of Challis Hex Drive Bushings.
Why the Hex Drive?
- EASY. The bushings can be installed quickly. Just slip one into the socket of a 7/32” nut driver
it into place.
- ACCURATE. Since the socket holds the bushing in proper alignment, it is easy to accurately engage
threads. There is no need to start the bushing by hand and then finish the job with a driver.
- STRONG. Unlike conventional bushings with
screwdriver slot, the hex head is strong enough to drive the bushing firmly into place without the
raising a burr or otherwise deforming the top of the bushing.
- STABLE. Sufficient torque can be applied to properly seat the bushing and thereby minimize
under the shock of discharge. This is especially valuable with grips made of G10, aluminum and other
- REMOVABLE. The bushing can be easily removed with a
7/32” nut driver or socket.
No special removal tools, no easy-outs and no trashed bushings or damaged frames.
- REUSABLE. If needed, the bushings can be removed for refinishing the frame and reinstalled,
the need to purchase replacement bushings.
Why use bushing O-rings?
O-rings protect fragile grips, minimize scuffing, and prevent loose bushings and screws. O-rings are
Without them, Challis Hex Drive Bushings will perform like conventional bushings, but there are several
- The bushing O-ring is simply slipped around the bushing and retained by the groove. As the grip
tightened, the O-ring is forced down a conical seat and outward against the counterbore. When the grip
seated, the compressed O-ring isolates the grip from the bushing with a rubber cushion that prevents
between the bushing and the grip when the gun is discharged.
- Cushioning shock to the bushing minimizes loosening of both the bushings and the
- Fragile and expensive grips of ivory, mammoth ivory and mammoth tooth are protected from potentially
impact with the bushings when shooting.
- The use of O-rings with abrasive grip materials such as G10 and carbon fiber will minimize scuffing of
caused by the repeated sliding motion between grip and frame during discharge.
- With the grips held firmly in place, the feel and performance of the gun is enhanced.
- The bushing O-rings supplied by Challis Grips are a special size manufactured specifically for
Challis Hex Drive Bushings.
Why use custom grip screw O-rings?
- Further isolation and attenuation of shock can be achieved by the use of a special O-ring fitted to
screw. As the screw is tightened, the O-ring is forced downward and outward, imposing itself between
hexagonal flats of the bushing and the bore through the grip, providing additional cushioning
between the grip
- With conventional bushings, there is insufficient space between the bushing and the bore to allow
entry of a
compressed O-ring, and the slot in the top of the bushing tends to quickly damage the O-ring.
- Grip screws frequently loosen when shooting with G10 and other rigid and heavy grips. In these
O-rings provide a high friction seat for the screw which minimizes loosening. The Challis Hex Drive
designed to enhance the performance of O-rings used for preventing screw extraction from discharge
- The grip screw O-rings supplied by Challis Grips are a special size manufactured specifically for
use with grip
screws. They will not prevent the grip screws from fully seating unlike the #60 O-rings commonly
used in the
Challis Hex Drive Bushings and o-rings...intuitively superior
"Challis Bushings with O-rings yield a perfect fit. Brian is clearly more than a grip-maker."
- 1911 Forum.
"I absolutely love those HexHead bushings as I have put over 100 rounds through each pistol with the
new grips and none of the screws loosened. Every 1911, regardless of brand or price point should
have these installed at the factory. Thanks again for making these awesome products for best pistol
platform ever! "
- David D.
"These o-rings are an instant improvement! The advantage of the grip texture is now a benefit, not
an illusive promise."
- From a review.